Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Romantic clothing

I have been searching for some time for romantic clothing. I love the look of the edwardian time and victorian age when people look so flowy and beautiful. I want that now. I am really tired of going to a store and being forced to see rolls of skin fall out, shirts that are skin tight and not pretty in the least, low rise jeans that look more like a plummer with the crack showing than women. Around here it seems the tighter the shirt and the more the rolls the better. ugh. Then I have to look at my own clothing. It's not that I mean to get it to tight but at times when I stand it looks pretty good but when I sit...HELLO...there we go. I mean, don't you ever just want to walk the field in a prairie skirt or go waltzing with the victorian gowns, or go for a stroll like Lizzy in Pride and Prejudice with the empire waist gown? I would love to make the classy, ladylike, romantic clothing of old, marry with a more modern look. Some days I long for the prairie days of baking bread and flowing the fields in my skirt (okay, I would like to keep my air conditioning and dishwasher and I know they did MUCH more than bake bread ) and just feeling well....feminine.

I don't want jumpers that are frumpy, I don't want dresses that make me look like a triangle, I just want dresses that would fit and look flowing and beautiful and casual and light. Is that to much to ask? I told my sister that I think this would be a great business venture for me. Right after I finish learning how to sew.

8 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

You go girl! When you start that clothing line I'll be the first to buy.

heartsjoy said...

You sweet supporter you!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Funny you should mention the plumber pheneomenon. It was just yesterday that we had a talk with a certain teenage girl about that very thing. Ewww. Gross!

I'm all for Lizzy-wear. (Can I live in Pembrooke too???)

SuperMom said...

I AM SOOOOO WITH YOU ON THIS!!!! Let's build a time machine and go back and shop! Ah, I love flowy dresses. I watched "Emma" the other night and thought how beautiful and graceful the clothing was. How comfy it looked, and so proper.

Start the line!! Your little niece is learning to sew. You could hire her to help you ;-) I'll be second in line to buy :-)

heartsjoy said...

I'm so glad you all relate to my feelings!! WE do need Lizzy wear! We do! We do! ;)

MRS MJW said...

Here are some you can buy...http://vintagestyleclothing.com/index.html

and some you can make...http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/welcome.htm

Hope this helps! :-)

Kristen said...

I totally agree with you! I actually found you in a search for "romantic clothing" looking for something flowy, feminine, and historical looking lol.

Anonymous said...

Just like Kristen I surfed in on this looking for romantic clothing. While Im not into the edwardian thing I really want to buy pinks and lemons and powder blues in chiffon, silk and all those other flowing fabric. I want shirts, tops dresses and accessories and am too lazy to source them individually. I want a site that sells it all.