Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Courageous Woman

I was reading a book I had bought a while back to take my daughter through. It is called Polished Cornerstones. Anyway, it addresses so many wonderful issues. I got to one chapter last night that baffled me. It was about a Courageous Woman. It was talking about the things that you should be asking yourself about yourself or your daughter to see if she was living a courageous life.

I guess I never expected to find many of my fears and worry to be about being courageous. I always thought I was. But, as I read these questions many of them convicted me greatly. I thought I would share some of the thoughts.

Is she afraid to trust God with her life?

Does she trust God to protect and provide for her?

Does she trust God to work all things (good and bad) together for her good? (that's a tough one)

Is she afraid she will be hurt or denied happiness if she submits to your authority?

Does she respond to her fears with prayer for God's strength and courage?

Does she recall God's word when she is fearful?

Is she afraid of peoples opinion of her?

Is she afraid to fail?

Is she afraid to try again when she fails?

Is she afraid to try anything new?

Is she afraid to stand up for what is right?

Is she afraid of the future?

Is she worrisome, continually visualizing potential dangers, failures, and problems?

Is she afraid of personal harm?

Is she afraid to say "no" when others ask her to accept responsibilities that will cause her to over-extend herself?

.....and on it went. Wow. For me this was really good to read. It had scripture and other books to read and work on in this area.

I really like this book because it gives great thoughts and ideas to do with your girls or yourself. They also have one for boys called "Plants Grown up" but I haven't read through it yet. If you haven't heard of this and would like to check it out I think the site is www.doorposts.net.

3 comments:

ValiantDad said...

thank you for initiating and leading our daughter and son to ask and understand these questions now as they are forming their faith in God for the future!
it's great that you and I will benefit from that process as well!
Love,
PM

LiteratureLover said...

I love that book too but I haven't looked at it for awhile. I'll have to say that this is convicting for me as well. Thanks.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Those were really good. I'm going to print them out for Abbey.