Friday, March 03, 2006

Psycho Soccer Parents

I was floored last night when I went to a soccer practice at all that transpired. My daughter who is 6 was on a team of 5-6 year olds and her coach decided they would play against another team for practice. The other team happened to be boys. Anyway, the girl on our team who is probably the best started crying in the very beginning. She had a sideline of parents, aunts, gramps cheering for her and instructing her and you could tell it was serious to all. If she didn't do something right she would get frustrated and start crying. After a while of this the coach looked at the parents and asked if she should take her out...parents said "No, she is fine." Then she and a boy on the other team slammed into each other and went down. I knew that had to really hurt. She hopped up crying hard and again her parents yelled to her to be tough and keep playing. At this point the usually passive coach took action and made her come out. I was really proud of her for at least doing the right thing in spite of it all. Then, a little boy on the other team kicked at the soccer ball and missed but landed on his tooshie very hard. Our star player was back in the game at that point and took advantage of his pain and kicked it in to which all her family cheered. The little boy was crying and the coach of the other team brought him out. I was feeling so sorry for him only to hear his loving response from his Dad say "Suck it up...suck it up" and give him no love and even began getting mad at him for not stopping the crying! He finally did suck it up and stop. Come on people....give me a total break!! I know we don't want our kids crying all the time over menial things but when they are hurt? We are talking 5-6 year olds suppose to be doing this for fun!! I mean, this wasn't even a game it was a p-r-a-c-t-i-c-e. Our star player also likes to shove in order to accomplish her goal and get the ball. At the last game almost all the parents on the other team began instructing their kids to shove her down and play how she played. It was really bad and I was shocked at what I was hearing. At this practice, I seriously thought about going over to that little boy and telling him I would be crying too and that wasn't a bad thing. But, his mom looked like she could probably take me out so I refrained.

I was thinking about the messages that was sending to those kids. To the boy....when hurt don't show any emotions...don't seek help....suck it up. To the daughter...I know your tired and sad but make that goal!! Do whatever it takes even if you have to shove people out of the way to get what you want...It is more important than you are!! Man, I know that I , as a parent, make many mistakes and make my kids hear wrong messages all the time but this is one instance I just don't see the point! Just had to share my psycho soccer parents moment.

3 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

Poor little things. I hate it that people take those games so seriously. Please! As if they aren't going to get enough yelling throughout their whole athletic career. I'm glad the coach stepped up and took her out. I had to laugh when you said, "I seriously thought about going over to that little boy and telling him I would be crying too and that wasn't a bad thing. But, his mom looked like she could probably take me out so I refrained." That's probably good.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

You title summed it up perfectly...
P-S-Y-C-H-O! And believe, the level of neurosis only goes higher as the kids get older. :) Just thought you'd like something to look forward to!

SuperMom said...

I've seen the psycho parents at our soccer games, too. Last night was Brother's first practice. The coach has a son on the team and is really extra hard on him. I'm not sure I'm going to like his approach. I don't know why we have to take it so seriously!!! How sad for the kids.