Monday, March 27, 2006

Riveting Hero

I had the real privledge of reading the beginning of a book from a Viet Nam vet with a purple heart. I couldn't put it down. It was riveting!! The Viet Nam vet just happens to be my Dad. I was amazed at all that my Dad faced. I have to share a short paragraph about one moment when he and the other marines were squatting down waiting to move because they knew the enemy was close around them. It is not even the most suspenseful part but one I didn't know which gave me even more insight into what they faced.

"We were spaced out 20 yards or so between each other to not cause any attention while our point Marines were observing the village. We were waiting quietly for what seemed forever in this heat and humidity. As I squatted down near a bush to wait I noticed movement in the monkey grass 30 yards to my side. I noticed this large snake which appeared to be 6 to 8 feet long, not sure what kind but the head was much larger than the body. I was told later that it probably was a Monocellate or King Cobra, they can grow up to 17.5 feet long. He raised his head above the grass and looked around and then seemed to fix his eyes on me and headed my way. I could not fire my weapon without giving away our position so I drew my bayonet and got ready to try and cut him in half before he bit me, as he got close and I got ready he stopped and looked at me and then headed in the opposite direction. What a relief as I took a deep breath and wondered what would have been the outcome. I understand that there are around 140 snake species in Vietnam and 30 of them are poisonous."

I can't wait until my Dad finishes his story. I will be recommending it to everyone. He faced such opposition and has never been one to talk about it unless we asked. He is a man who is unassuming but has such magnificent strength. I think the thing I took away while reading is that He is a hero. He would never agree to that but he is. He got a friend who was freezing up out of fear, to act and move when the enemy was firing at them. If he hadn't they wouldn't have made it through. He also helped another man who was just sitting by his friend grieving and in shock and forced him to move. I am also equally thankful to others who saved his life in the midst of battle. It was so harsh some of what they faced but I am so thankful that my Dad made it home and that He had the Lord to lean on during that time. Dad, thank you for your bravery and heroic measures. You are my hero!

3 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

Applause. Applause. I second this!!

I too have enjoyed reading through the rough draft. It has been sobering and moving. It's been good to have a glimpse into that time in his life.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Men like D are definintely heros. It's wonderful that he's getting everything all written down--especially for the grandkids.

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

There were times when I was a child that I would hear Mom and Dad mention a friend they admired who survived Vietnam without drug probs, psych. probs, and social dysfunctions that television tends to present. It was your dad. I absolutely cannot wait to read his testimony.
Spencer (the camera nerd)