Monday, January 23, 2006

Smoke!

Tonight we were suppose to have a new couple over for dinner. They just moved here from California (David Jeremiah's church) and they are ready to get to work for God! Whoo HOo! Anyway, I have liked the few interactions I've had with them and really looked forward to visiting with them. It was decided last night that they would come to our house tonight. Yikes! Not much time for a not so planner. Anyway, I had stuff to make chili as well as ham. I decided to make both so that they could pick.

I had them both underway and looking good. I needed my chili to get a little thicker so I was getting it to boiling then going to bring back down to simmer. However, at the boiling point I got distracted with a child upstairs. All of a sudden I smelled smoke! SMOKE!! I ran back down and the kitchen was full of smoke and I rushed to the chili. Instead of having a fit I just dumped the good part of the chili in another pot and scrubbed the old pot. I did some maintenance work and went on.

The couple came 15 minutes early!! For those of you like me, that is WAY to early. Laughing. Anyway, things were pretty much ready and we were happy to get to chat. After chatting we went to eat. I made up frito pies and headed to the table. We had already prayed so the guests were already eating. I looked at my frito pie with sour cream and cheese...yummm, ready for a big bite and ......I was tasting smoke!! I was horrified and got up to go into the kitchen for something else and grabbed my husband...."Have you tasted the chili, it tastes like smoke to me!" He went in to taste it and agreed. I started laughing and apologized to my company for the smokey chili. The guest husband then said, "If you hadn't said anything I would have just thought it was a new smokey chili recipe from Arkansas!" We all laughed. I offered the other food that actually tasted good. The wife actually went back for seconds, I couldn't believe it. It was pretty funny and we will always remember the night of the chili that tasted like liquid smoke! Want some?

5 comments:

heartsjoy said...

Wow! A+ from my hospitality queen Mother! Whoo hoo! Thanks mom!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Dear Hospitality Princess, I have soo been there-- only I didn't have anything waiting in the wings and had to order out for pizza! Kudos to you!!!

Warm hearts (aka Hospitality Queen)- I've actually been invited to someone's house where they were still THAWING the chicken as we arrived???? By the way, how old are you anyway?? LOL!

LiteratureLover said...

After I made fun of you for being over-prepared, I guess you had the right idea!! I would have been up a creek and calling the pizza delivery guy too! Thanks for the laugh. Smokey Arkansas Chili!

heartsjoy said...

Hospitality princess, LOL, That is pretty funny. Thanks for the comments and stories of times gone by (and yes, Dad you need to reveal you age after all! ;)

janiners said...

you are all soo funny! i don't know what I would do if I didn't have these crazy blogs to read each night and day! heartsjoy, you are awesome! the first time jerry and i had people over for dinner (like a four-person family, with little ones and a little on the more healthy side of things), i was very nervous and wondered what to cook. i asked jerry lots of questions and was like, what if they're allergic to something i make, what if i cook with something they don't consider healthy? aaaaahhhh! i'm sure you can imagine my alarm! anyways.....we made spaghetti. can't go wrong, there. jerry was a good calm for me. anyways....it all worked out, but i am with literaturelover and this one's for the girls - it would so be pizza if anything happened!
by the way, i'm down for trying any kind of new chili. send some of that smoky stuff my way! :-)