Saturday, January 14, 2006

Emergency Room

We just got back from the ER with my son getting 3 stitches. Poor baby.

He and his Dad had gone on a hunting trip and I will let them tell you the good parts of that. However, at the very end he slipped and his leg got caught on a sharp point. He had been on a stopped truck reaching for his water bottle when he slipped foot in air, going over side. Fortunately he grabbed the side of the truck and hung on with his calf getting stuck on an antler. Needless to say he had a pretty bad puncture but it could have been much worse if he had let go of the truck. He was very brave and did the right things. When he and Daddy got home I was in the back and came to the front to see him. I was so excited to kiss on him but as I got closer I could tell something was not right. I couldn't see the wound because it had been doctored and patched up but it looked big. Daddy was going to use some liquid skin as well as those band aids to pull skin together. However, later when looking at it, it looked more wide and the aids were not working. We resorted to a night clinic which then sent us to the ER where we proceeded to wait and finally get shots, wound cleaned, antibiotics and stitches. (3 hours in all)

He was of course very nervous and his Daddy was just going to take him to the doctor but he really wanted me to come (aww) and I really wanted to come. He needed his Mommy's compassion and his Daddy's strength. Anyway, he was very brave and I am so relieved it is over. The doctor said it was a good thing we brought him in because wounds to the calf are usually more apt to get further infections. I have never seen a wound like that where the underneath is puffing out. It really looked bad but after the stitches it looked so much better. I acutally watched most of the process beside him without passing out and it was quite interesting (after he was no longer in pain). I am ready to call it a night but please keep him in your prayers.

2 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

Poor little guy. Give him a hug for us! Take a picture of those stitches, it'll be a good story to tell later on. (Maybe even a movie?)

SuperMom said...

Scary! I remember having stitches as a kid and it was not fun at all. Hopefully his experience was not as traumatic. Poor kid! Poor mommy :-)