Monday, December 05, 2005

Feeling Feminine

I feel like God has really been challenging me to be more of a lady and homemaker. I never really knew why people called us that. Home maker, isn't the home already made? But alas, it is not and the never ending pile of dishes or laundry or food to fix lets me know it! However, my husband was speaking a few weeks ago on Titus. I was looking at the text as he taught and a verse just leaped off the page to me. Titus 2:5. In that verse it was talking about the older women teaching the younger, but one phrase in my translation said "to love their husbands, to love their children and be workers at home", in another translation it said "keepers of the home". In study later on I looked up in the Blue Letter Bible on internet to quickly find greek and hebrew interpretations of this and found that it even could mean guide of the home. I have stumbled upon some wonderful sites talking about how dressing feminine can acutally make you feel more beautiful as well as more positive and submissive. All of which are good to feel. :) So, I had mentioned that I was working on a dress that has the Edwardian Time inspiration. Of course I want to also relate that I've only been really trying to sew for the last month and I don't seem to want to use measuring tools or patterns so there is a lot of seam ripping going on.

Anyway, so today I got up feeling all feminine and wore a fun full skirt. I felt more like Holly Homemaker so I wanted to get stuff around the house done. My kids and I worked for a while with our wonderful fun Christmas music blarring in the background focusing on the birth of Christ. We did some school with hot chocolate (made with my new tea kettle from Mom and Dad) since the kids didn't want hot tea and in the afternoon started cookie cutting sugar cookies. It was so fun. My daughter, princess, loves glitter and make up but she is also an acts of service girl. So she was trying to cut about 3 cookies to her brother's one. He, my son, valiant, is more laid back and took his turn when it was time. He can get irritated with Princess at times rushing him. He has more focus on the detail of how the cookie looked and if you could see all the facial expressions. He was dismayed when the cookies were baked and you couldn't see the details anymore. However, they both seemed to have a wonderful time. We had fun talking and working and it was just a wonderful time. It was cooler today so we had chili for dinner and a relaxing evening. I got to work on my dress more or re-work it and it just felt like a glowing time. I realize the the best part of being a home maker is being at home to make it up and enjoy those to live there with me! I love that my Lord has made me a Lady in His kingdom! I am a princess, child of the King and I want to act, look and feel like it! (picture dress flowing, breeze blowing, tea kettle bubbling, flowers smelling...ahhhh)

2 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

You crack me up with your sewing and no pattern. Keep us posted on how it's going. I'm impressed.

SuperMom said...

I have the mental image of you in your flowing skirt with the breeze blowing your hair back and "Tara's Theme" playing in the background :-)

I have to say, I'm jealous that your cookie baking was so great. Though I don't want to rush it, I do look forward to my little ones being a little older so we can have those moments of working together on a project and it be a little more relaxing.

Great blog. It is good to remember what a beautiful privelige (sp?) we have as homemakers. Sometimes I lose sight of that :-)