Monday, June 26, 2006

Grace at 5:00

We have been visiting some different churches lately. Got some really great insight revealed that I have to share! Yesterday the man who spoke talked of the story in the Bible where a man who owned vinyards went out and got day workers to help him harvest. This owner made an agreement on payment with the workers from the very beginning. He hired some at 6am, 9am, 12, 3pm and then, almost at the end of the day, he hired some at 5pm who he found had been waiting for work all day. As the day ended he instructed them to be paid last to first. What he pointed out next is what struck me.

The ones who were there at the beginning of the day got discontent....they wanted more than the ones who got there at the end. I could totally relate....I would probably be one of those irritated workers. Then he brought out that it was because of their wanting MORE. They had been fine all day. They were okay with working first and agreeing to the pay. They were okay with other workers being hired throughout the day and being paid something. However, when they were paid and thought they Deserved More is when the discontment happened. They were not treated unfairly and the vinyard owner pointed that out. He had in fact given grace by hiring them in the first place. He had just extended grace to the late workers. Whoa. That hit me. How many times have I begrudged someone a pleasure or grace because I felt it unfair. Really hit me and I took it home. Time to get more in tune with the grace I have already been given and be happy and content even when others get more.

3 comments:

LiteratureLover said...

That story has often left me thinking. This is good thought-food. It's so easy to get discontented when I think I deserve more than the grace that's already been given. Thanks for the reminder!

heartsjoy said...

Julia - Matthew 20 starting in verse one. I was thinking the text was out of John as well but anyway, I know it is in Matt. 20. Hope that helps! :)

MamaBear said...

Hey, sounds like you were at my church last Sunday! Hope you found the people to be friendly, the worship uplifting and the teaching inspiring. We've been there for about 11 years and are so excited about all God is doing through that body of believers. Hope you'll come again soon!