Sunday, May 07, 2006

Does Somebody Need a Hug? / Greetings!

A few weeks ago my Mom and I were talking about greeting others. I had written a little article about it and was sharing with her. She then told me a story that was so cute. She talked about a lady in the office who refused to be ignored or not greeted. She would speak to everyone and if they didn't even acknowledge her she would say something to the effect of "Does Somebody Need a Hug!!" and get up and hug them.

I totally laughed at this because I, myself, am a big hugger. I know the feeling of giving someone a hug who might not want it. After a period of time, she trained others to know that if they didn't speak or greet, then she would help cheer them by giving them a hug. Many people who do not speak are task people so they are not necessarily wanting hugs either. Turns out, they were able to find it within to begin speaking to her. They also became more pleasent. Isn't it amazing what just one person can do to change attitudes or environment.


How to Greet Someone

1. Look at them and speak! Have you ever walked in a room and people look at you but no one said a word to you? It is a bad feeling. On the flip side. Have you ever walked into a room and were greeted with a warm hello? It feels like a fresh drink of water.
2. Raise eyebrows and smile. I remember being in a seminar with Gary Smalley and John Trent and they talked about honoring someone. They raised their eyebrows and opened their mouths with a gasp. We all laughed but you know what, who wouldn’t want that greeting. It is as if a great leader or movie star walked into the room and you can hear the gasping and excitement. THAT is how we should greet others! With enthusiasm and excitement!
3. Words of warmth and excitement. Suzie, I’m So happy to see you! Julie, I am so glad you could make it! John, great to see you here! Hi! Hey there! What’s up?!! Hello! Welcome! Do you notice what kind of punctuation is being used on all those welcomes? Exclamation marks!! That is how we should be with anyone we greet!
4. How hard is a greeting really? NOT HARD. I actually think it takes more effort NOT to smile or speak than it does to just do it. When you greet you share a warmth with others. It is like passing a fragrant flower rather than a mildewed dishtowel.


So Go for it! The next person you see…Greet!

5 comments:

Bttrfly1976 said...

Greeting someone is easier than not.........for sanguine personalities like you!!! There are others out there you know! Others who find it far more difficult to take the initiative in such scenarios. No one I know, of course, but there are some, count on it. Then there are those who are so "task oriented" that they don't always realize that they have even neglected to do anything. It just doesn't occur to them. In addition, there are some who would rather keep to themselves than offer a greeting at the risk of that offering not being returned. Fear of rejection can be a powerful driving force!

However, I agree it always feels better to be noticed. Thus, I will tell any of those people noted above, if I ever meet them, that it might be worth the focus/attention/risk, just to make someone else feel appreciated and noticed.

THE END :o)

janjanmom said...

Good to see you today!! I enjoyed your reminder!!

Michelle- This One's for the Girls said...

Here's a (((hug))) for you. :)

Love the new video btw. That was a great movie.

LiteratureLover said...

That's a great story! She sounds like a big-hearted person. Thanks for the greeting reminder!

joyfuljourney said...

Reading this makes me miss you! You have always made me feel special by honoring me and treating me with respect! You are a great one to teach us on this topic!

A few weeks ago I told one of our youth (I'd never had a conversation with her) that I had been reading about her success in track in the newspaper. She smiled shyly. The next day her mother called me and thanked me for taking the time to talk to her daughter. Apparently after our quick visit in the ladies room at church, she rushed to her mom and said, "Mom, the pastor's wife just talked to me. She knows who I am!" It was so sweet, but I had no idea what those comments would mean to her. I assumed she thought I was stupid since I'm over 30!

Our words and encouragement mean so much to others! People matter to God and they should matter to us too!