Sunday, June 22, 2008

Inappropriate Laughter!

you feel it creeping up inside

it is the wrong time

totally inappropriate

can't help it, feel the tickle
lips curling, gonna loose it

yep, I've done it. My son knows I have this tendency and just the other day he tripped and almost fell.

Watching his long legs and arm flailing through the air did it for me. He quickly turned and looked right at me. He had seen the squint in my eyes, the creasing in my lips and he knew...
Then it came, that big loud laughter. I apologized as I did it.
I'm...so....sorry....know..it's.. not funny.

It was contagious, he couldn't keep frowning at me as I belly laughed his misfortune.
Pretty soon we were both bellowing and I was so glad he was understanding of my inappropriate laughter.

Other times it has not been so easy.
You know you shouldn't but can't contain it.

My friends and I were at the hotel and needed help connecting a dvd.
The guy that came kept talking to himself. I mean it wasn't a whisper, he was having some full on conversations with himself.

I finally started to quickly shake. My friends saw me and were trying not to get tickled and mouthed at me to STOP.

I tried, I really did. They wouldn't look at me but could feel me shaking with laughter and again it was contagious. Bad bad

My husband, who was a full time vocational minister for many years also knew my short coming.
One time in service, I was close to the back and he was sitting at the Lord's supper table. I couldn't see him very well and another man was talking. My husband slowly etched his head over to the side to see me.

All I could see was his little pin head moving to see me through all the little other heads.
It totally cracked me up.
A time when I should have been fully reflecting and meditating and I almost snorted.

I shut my eyes so quickly as to think that if I could sqeeze them tight enough, my lips would continue to stay sealed.

You know you can relate! I am sure (in an insecure, hopeful way) that I am not the only inappropriate laugher.
Can anything be done?! :)

1 comment:

Bttrfly1976 said...

Wow!!! Two posts in one day... I am so very proud!

I think everyone struggles with that one, laughing at inoppurtune times. I have actually been 'shushed' from the pulpit for that very thing...of course I was a teenager then.

But I think we all do it and I don't think there's a cure, sorry. :)

I'm glad you are getting to stay home again, I know that is where your heart is!

I say, keep up the blogging!!